Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Years'!

Well, well it is 2010 already, can you believe it? Well, I can not. There are so many things to be thankful for, but I am more excited to start a new year with new beginnings.

We had a great Christmas! Madison did get the concept of opening gifts; however, it did take a long time opening all her gifts. Thank you to everyone who thought of Madison and gave her a gift for Christmas.

I figured it was the beginning of a new year, so I might as well give in and get her haircut. So, when the three of us went to the mall we also got her haircut. Nothing to drastic, but just a little trim and some layers.

She is getting so big now and learning from what other people are doing. She is copying my every move and trying to talk to me as well. Now, is the time to watch what we say and do around her. She loves to dance and listen to music, read and watch her favorite Nick Jr shows: Yo Gabba, Gabba, Dora, Diego etc. Food is getting better. She eats cereal, yogurt, oatmeal, pizza, ques., fries, spaghetti o's stuff that is easy for her to chew and get use to chewing. I figure it is a work in progress and to keep going forward and letting her try new things everyday. She will try and take bites of what Danny and I eat, but that never last through a whole meal and then we have to feed her her own "people"food. She only gets 2 bottles of milk a day: one a nap and then other a night time. Throughout the day she has 1/2 water 1/2 juice. Now, the next step is to work on potty training. I already got pull-ups to get started and now all I need is a potty chair.....
So many new things everyday with her~

I wish all my family and friends a joy/blessful New Year.

4 comments:

Jeri said...

She's still too young for potty training, I think. She needs to get the people food down pat 1st and get off the baby food stuff.

marisa said...

What? Potty training? That's crazy!!! She's only 1. Did your pediatrician tell you to start training her? I mean if she's showing interest then introduce it, but be careful to not push her before she's ready. I know based on what we've gone through with Inara and she's a lot older than Mady and now refusing the potty all together. Kim, I'm sorry if I'm giving too much advice, but don't try to do too much with her at once. She's only one year old. Ween her off bottles. Get her eating table foods. Then tackle potty training. If you do too much at once, then she might have a hard time adjusting to all the changes, which will mean a rougher road for you. Just have to throw in my two cents. I know some people have to potty train early because of daycare/preschool situations, but from my experience and those of my mom friends, it can be disastrous if you push a child before she's ready. And I don't want you to go through some of the horror stories I've heard (such as a child taking a diaper off and throwing her poop all over the house and yes that's a true story). Many recommendations I've gotten is to wait until a child can communicate more clearly and can fully comprehend bodily functions like the sensation to pee and poo. Would love to know if your doc told you to start potty training and why. Love you and please know I'm only offering my suggestions. You can always ignore me. :-)

Berlyg said...

Marisa: I love you suggestions and I always take them into consideration so please dont stop!
She is always touching "down there" and sometimes when I smell it it is pee pee. She does not really understand "yes" and "no", but when I smell she has gone "poop" she says "no", but really she has gone.
My dr. has not suggested potty training at all, actually.
She only gets a bottle for nap and nighttime..when/how do I get her to sleep on her own without us holding her?
She is getting way better with people food, for now! And I hope it will continue :).
She gets 1 nap a day for 2 hrs and then nighttime. Nap normally 1130-1230 she will go down and wake up between 2-3 depending what time she went down.

marisa said...

Good question about when she'll stop needing you to hold/rock her to sleep. Inara was never big on us rocking her to sleep. I would say try cutting down the time you rock a bit at a time. So cut it down by 5 min ever week and see how she does with that. But she just might be one of those kids who can't fall asleep without being held. You've just gotta keep in mind she's only 1 and I know that's hard. I do it all the time with Inara and have to remind myself she's still only 2 and might not get what I want from her. Mady might grow out of it on her own when she's a little older. Try a new ritual like bathtime, reading stories, rocking for 10 min, then laying her down. Be sure to communicate with her mommy is going to rock you for 2 more min and then it's bedtime. I say OK Inara, I'll rock you until the end of this song, then it's bedtime and she's ready.

A lot of kids will touch themselves because it's their way of learning their body. It doesn't necessarily mean she's ready for potty training. A better indicator is if she tells you she's wet and wants to be changed right away. If kids don't like being in a soiled diaper, then it's potty training time. Since she can't distinguish when she's pooped or pee'd, then she might not fully understand the bodily functions yet. This is a huge indicator for readiness. Inara will come and tell me she went or is going to go poopy in her diaper, which tells me she knows the difference, understands the feeling, and can then communicate to me when it's time to go to the bathroom. I'm so ready to be done with diaper changing but she's just not there yet and I can't push her because I know that will only cause more frustration for me and it might backfire and scare her away from the potty all together.

I didn't want to come off as being too nosey or offer unsolicited advice. I just know I love it when other moms tell me what worked and didn't work for their kids, so I'm more than happy to keep offering my two cents. I'm here when you need me. Love you.